Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote


Wandering through the farmers market I stumbled on some rhubarb and thought I would give it a try.  Rhubarb is a very bitter vegetable that has many uses.  In America it is typically used to make pie fillings most commonly accompanied by strawberries. Where in China they use rhubarb root for healing purposes in a tea for cleansing and as a laxative.

I thought I would pair my rhubarb with some pork

What you will need:
1 pint strawberries
1 stalk rhubarb (leaves removed they are poisonous)
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper to taste
1 seed of all spice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Wash rhubarb and cut into small sticks
Quarter strawberries
In a medium sauce pan place all ingredients in the pot

and simmer for 15 minutes until rhubarb has broken down and all liquid has evaporated. 

Remove from heat and let cool.  Remember to remove the all spice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment